In exercise of the powers conferred under clause (d) of section 15 of the Energy Conservation Act 2001, (Central Act No.52 of 2001), the Government of Telangana hereby designated “Telangana State Renewable Energy Development Corporation” (TSREDCO) as "State Designated Agency" to coordinate, regulate and enforce the provisions of the aforesaid Act, and also for implementation of the Schemes under the said Act within the State of Telangana as per Go.Ms No. 19 Dated: 03-07-2015.
Role of State Governments has been clearly defined in Section 15 of EC Act
- State Governments have to designate agencies in consultation with Bureau
- Designated Agencies will have the responsibility to implement the Act within the State
- Power for inspection has been assigned under Section 17
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF DESIGNATED AGENCIES
- Spread awareness on EC Act
- Undertake voluntary initiatives to promote energy conservation
- Liaison and coordinate with BEE, State Government Departments dealing with energy, industry, planning, regulators, consumer affairs, municipal bodies etc.
- Capacity building of staff employed
- Launch and maintain state specific website addressing the voluntary and mandatory provisions of EC Act
- Undertake energy conservation awareness program for consumers, industrial & commercial sector, school children, farmers etc.
- Arrange interactive meets between energy managers, energy auditors and other experts
- Prepare a list of designated consumers on a structured format
- Compile information received from designated consumers through annual statements on energy consumption, energy audit reports, and action taken on the report of energy audit
- Prepare a state and sectoral energy data base and provide the feed back to designate consumers
- Take all measures necessary to create awareness and disseminate information for efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Arrange and organize training of personnel and specialists in the techniques for efficient use of energy and its conservation
- Take steps to encourage preferential treatment for use of energy efficient equipment or appliances
- Request State Government to constitute a state energy conservation fund for the purposes of promotion of efficient use of energy and its conservation within the state
- Assist State Government in the preparation of rules under Section
- After the expiry of 5 years from the date of commencement of EC Act, i.e. 27th February 2007, appoint or designate inspecting officer as necessary for the purpose of ensuring compliance with energy consumption standards specified under Clause (a) of Section 14 or ensure display of particulars on label on equipment or appliance specified under Clause (b) of Section 14 or for the purpose of performing such other functions as may be assigned.
Power of Inspection
- The designated Agency may appoint, after the expiry of five years from the date of commencement of this Act, as many inspecting officers as may be necessary for the purpose of ensuring compliance with energy consumption standard specified under clause (a) of section 14 or ensure display of particulars on label on equipment or appliances specified under clause (b) of section 14 or for the purpose of performing such other functions as may be assigned to them.
- Subject to any rules made under this Act, an inspecting officer shall have power to –
Inspect any operation carried on or in connection with the equipment or appliance specified under clause (b) of section 14 or in respect of which energy standards under clause (a) of section 14 have been specified
enter any place of designated consumer at which the energy is used for any activity and may require any proprietor, employee, director, manager or secretary or any other person who may be attending in any manner to or helping in, carrying on any activity with the help of energy –
- To afford him necessary facility to inspect -
- Any equipment or appliance as he may require and which may be available at such place;
- Any production process to ascertain the energy consumption norms and standards;
- To make an inventory of stock of any equipment or appliance checked or verified by him;
- To record the statement of any person which may be useful for, or relevant to, for efficient use of energy and its conservation under this Act.
An inspecting officer may enter any place of designated consumer -
- Where any activity with the help of energy is carried on: and
- Where any equipment or appliance notified under clause (b) of section 14 has been kept, during the hours at which such places is open for production or conduct of business connected therewith.
inspecting officer acting under this section shall, on no account, remove or cause to be removed from the place wherein he has entered, any equipment or appliance or books of accounts or other documents.