Small Hydro Power
A seasonal or perennial (i.e. through the year) flow of water is an excellent source
of energy in our rural areas. Nowadays, the technology for small hydro power project
system are operated and maintained by the local people successfully. In our country,
the total potential for generating electricity through small hydro power projects
has been identified at 15,000 MW.
Small Hydro is the development of hydroelectric power on a scale serving a small
community or industrial plant. The definition of a Small Hydro project varies but
a generating capacity of up to 25 megawatts (MW) is generally accepted as the upper
limit of what can be termed Small Hydro.
TNREDCL is an organization devoted entirely to the promotion of non-conventional
energy sources in Telangana. Our aim is to promote projects for harnessing energy
from small-hydro. The company advises the Government of Telangana on policies to
be adopted for ensuring a systematic and balanced growth of projects for harnessing
renewable energy sources.
How Small Hydro Power plant works:
In hydroelectric power plants the potential energy of water due to its high location
is converted into electrical energy. The total power generation capacity of the
hydroelectric power plants depends on the head of water and volume of water flowing
towards the water turbine
A minimum 3 Mt head is desirable for installation of a Low head Hydel power Station.
These Projects can be installed on canal drops, dam toes, waterfalls, streams and
The Power project essentially comprises of a diversion weir / regulator an intake
canal, powerhouse, tailrace pool and tailrace channel.
The S.H.P. Projects are classified as follows:
- Up to 100 K.W Micro Hydel
Above 100 KW to 2.0 MW Mini Hydel
- Above 2.0 MW to 25.0 MW Small Hydro
Objectives of the power project
- Harnessing the energy contained in flowing water without consumptive use and free
from all sorts of pollution.
- Environment friendly green power generation.
- Improving the local voltage conditions near the project.
- Local employment generation.
- Entrepreneurship development.
- Additional revenue to Government by way of water cess / royalty.
- Improvement of discharges through canal in the reach of the project due to concrete